Hello Sequin Fans! Welcome to my last blog post for SpiegelMom Scraps before switching over to the Instagram squad.
You know by now I like my layouts clean and simple with white space and also, monochrome.
Here, I have picked all of the flowers out of Chasing Azul (I have them tucked away for something else, keep an eye on the Instagram account!)
I’ve tinkered with this month’s freebie cut file. I duplicated Baby, cut out the a, rotated the b and altered it in to an o. Then I joined them all back together and cut our Baby Boy from vellum.
I added a flair button amongst a vertical line of sequins and called it done. To make sure I had a guide to follow when lining up my sequins I drew a few sketchy pencil lines. I figured that at least some little bits would show so picked a pencil that matched the sequins.
Hi Folks! Laura here again with a photoless layout. My pet budgie (parakeet) is called Herbert and I wanted to document the definitions of his name as they are rather apt… well one much more than the other!
I looked up the definition and origin of the name and the word and printed them out. The other focus is the feathers flair button which is where I got my colour scheme from. I wanted to keep the layout fairly clean and simple with the added colour coming from splatters and sequins only – no patterned paper at all.
Hey chaps, Laura here today. I usually cut a few bits on my Silhouette Cameo when I have it out. This means some cuts don’t get used right away, and sometimes the edges end up damaged. Rather than through this large background piece away I decided to cut it apart, discard the damaged bits and keep the good bits!
I backed a few of the petal sections with the gorgeous blue roses paper from Maggie Holmes’ Chasing Dreams. I adore this pattern and colour and I’m using it really sparingly!
I filled a glassine bag with some Pandora’s Ombre and got a little sad that I had used nearly all of my supply. I emptied about half out and threw in some tiny cheap white sequins that have been in my stash for nearly a decade! I don’t use them as they are not perfect but behind glassine you can’t tell.
I then used the left over Pandora’s Ombre sequins to embellish the page.
Before adhering my cut file down I used watercolour and the packaging technique to add some blue to my background. I also added foam adhesive to the back of the cut files for added dimension and cast shadows.
I get these ideas sometimes… they come from seemingly nowhere and won’t leave me until I’ve made it into a tangible project. This latest idea was to create a watercolour wild meadow with dandelion cut files on top. I searched all the usual places and even asked my favourite designer if she had anything. She had one but it wasn’t what was in my head!
So I doodled my own, took a photo and made it into a cut file. It is not perfect, and it is NOT easy to get off the cutting mat but I got enough off to make it work for me…
I joined 3 together with a simple stitch and then got to work on my background. I used my watercolour palette which is full of Daniel Smith watercolours. A little experimenting told me the Azo Nickel Yellow and Kyanite Genuine mix together to make a wonderful green. I added plenty of splatters – it’s my ‘thing’!
As I was looking through my sequin stash the colour of my cork embellishments caught my eye. The went with the natural creamy-white watercolour paper and the hues of green perfectly. I pulled out Wedding Bells, Strawberry Bubblegum and Cork Confetti in chevrons and butterflies.I get the rest very simple; the dandelion heads and painting were enough for me. I added a simple layer of vellum to the photograph and chose a flair as my title. I added a sprinkle of my sequins and a couple of butterflies. I used the chevrons to direct the eye towards the title.
I love working with sketches. Sometimes I go off on a tangent and the finished layout looks nothing like the sketch, other times I use the sketch very literally. This was a literal copy up to a point…
I got my ruler out and did a little maths to get my patterned paper sections exact. I cut duplicate pieces in vellum so I could layer up with foam pads for added dimension and shadows. They are very subtle layers but, I think, well worth it.
I stuck my glitter spot acetate down with 3d glue gel for even more dimension. I only used the glue behind the glitter and one spot I knew I would be adding an embellishment.
When I had finished my literal copy I felt the bottom needed something extra so added some bunting. I used some yellow baker’s twine to anchor my pennants.
When it came to embellishing I added some Salt of the Earth sequins and Shooting Cork Stars. These stars are quickly becoming a favourite of mine. They are small enough to add to most layouts without overtaking but still adding the gorgeous cork texture and colour. They are also easy to alter with gesso or paint if you fancy the texture but not the colour!
Hey there, Laura here today with a Dazzlerz/sequins combo…
If you are not a fan of sticking sequins on individually I highly recommend this technique! Spread a layer of Dazzlerz (or Pasteez – note to self: must do this with Pasteez soon!) and while it is still wet sprinkle on some sequins. You can choose to gently push them in with your fingertips, but I’ve found these little stars don’t need any encouragement to stick.
I made a photo collage in PicMonkey of the same photo repeated three times, two in black and white and one in colour. Under the black and white photos I added some black acrylic ink and some black sugar paper torn from a sketchbook. Under the coloured photo I added some vellum and Red-iculous Dazzlerz and Gold Stardust.
For a few extra details, I added a couple of labels and short title. Again I kept the colour to one side and black and white on the other. I also added a few gold stardust sequins to the black and white side because I just can’t help myself when it comes to sequins!!